Friday, May 18, 2012

Jokai szelet

 Jokai szelet, Jokai bars, a traditional Hungarian pastry.
Named after the great romantic Hungarian author, Maurus Jokai from the 19th century.

I have a very old memory of being a four year old little girl and my beautiful Mother asking me if I would like to have a "tea party".    She used my miniature china tea set, made tea with milk and sugar and served it to me with some saltine crackers layered with cherry jam.   I remember  the warm afternoon sun shining in our cozy kitchen as I sat and enjoyed my first cup of tea.  These bars remind me of those layered jam tea treats.  They're rich, so just a small bite will do with your afternoon tea or coffee.  Enjoy, darlings!

Recipe
2 3/4 Cups flour
2 sticks unsalted butter room temp.
2/3 C powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg

Filling is homemade raspberry, cherry or apricot jam.

Icing:
2 egg yolks
1/2 Cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla

For the topping:

1/2 Cup chopped walnuts and 1/2 Cup raisins
 Preheat oven 350.  Mix and roll out dough to four equal sized rectangles.  Add in a little extra flour if it is too sticky.  Bake for about 12 to 14 min, until golden.  Remove, place on cooling rack and wait till it cools a little.  When they are about room temperature you can spread the jam on top of three of the layers.  Place the last layer on top and spread the icing on it and then sprinkle the walnuts and raisins.   Put it back into the shut off oven just until icing is set ( about 12 min. or so). 

1 comment:

  1. Kedves Hölgyem! Magyar vagyok, Magyarországról. A Jókai szelet receptjét kerestem az interneten, és egyedül az Ön honlapján találtam meg az IGAZI Jókai szelet képét! Gratulálok a bloghoz! Üdvözlettel: Mérai Judit

    ReplyDelete